Would you prefer watching or reading this episode? If so, click here for the ‘Herbs for Dogs and Cats with Swanie Simon’ video and transcript.
Are you concerned about safe herbs for dogs and cats, as well as cautions to be aware of when working with herbs for cats and dogs? If so you won’t want to miss this informative and inspiring interview with animal herbalist and naturopath Swanie Simon! I love it when my guests make things practical and Swanie delivers with instant access to two herbal recipes for pets, a paw salve and a carrot soup that can work wonders to relieve diarrhea.
Swanie’s love of animals and nature was apparent from a very young age and she has spent her life working with animals and learning everything she could about them. Influenced by Juliette de Bairacli Levy’s books, she went on to become an herbalist, TCVM practitioner and naturopath for animals (Tierheilpraktiker). Juliette de Bairacli Levy went on to become a dear friend and lived at Swanie’s farm in Germany for several years.
Swanie is highly specialized in the natural rearing and treatment of dogs and cats and is one of Europe’s most renowned authors, teachers and herbalists. She is credited with making the subject of raw diets for dogs and cats popular in Europe and has written several best-selling books on the subject.
Swanie has been teaching herbalism, TCVM and dog & cat nutrition since 2005 and online classes in Germany since 2014. She is planning online classes in English starting in 2023.
Today Swanie lives on a beautiful farm in the high forest region of Germany with 4 dogs, 5 cats, 2 horses, about 20 goats and a gang of chickens. She splits her time between her farm in Germany and her home in the beautiful Provence region of south France.
Listen in for:
► What diet is best for dogs and cats?
► Are essential oils a good idea for flea and tick prevention?
► Are there any maintenance herbs that are safe for pets?
I met Swanie years ago and her depth of knowledge was immediately apparent. Because I’m often asked about working with herbs for pets, I leaned into Swanie’s expertise to hear her many insights on working safely with herbs for dogs and cats and let the conversation go on longer than usual. I think you’ll agree that was a good choice and I’m thrilled to share our conversation with you today!
The first, most important thing is always my patient. I want them to feel good, and not my ideology and my ego, but the patient has to feel good.
What You’ll Learn from This Episode
- [01:08] Introduction to Swanie Simon
- [04:28] How Swanie became interested in herbs for animals
- [06:59] Getting to know Juliette de Bairacli Levy
- [13:31] What is the best diet for pets?
- [15:41] What to know about transitioning from a processed diet to fresh foods
- [19:27] How bitter herbs can help dogs transition to a fresh foods diet
- [23:44] Wellness-supporting maintenance herbs for dogs
- [26:02] Herbs that are unsafe for cats
- [28:18] What are safe herbs for cats? What are cats’ dietary needs?
- [32:36] Can a holistic approach help animals who are very ill?
- [38:01] Swanie’s Paw Salve recipe
- [39:17] Carrot soup for diarrhea
- [40:21] Caring for elderly dogs and elderly cats
- [46:13] What are potential underlying causes of hot spots?
- [49:35] Swanie shares her current projects
Download Your Recipe Card!
Connect With Swanie
Connect with Rosalee
Are Your Ready for More Herbal Inspiration?
The best way to get started is by joining my herbal community and
weekly newsletter where I share my best herbal tips and insights.
When you join you’ll also get access to The Herbal Jumpstart Course which helps you figure out the best herbs for you.
Sign up below!