Would you prefer watching or reading this episode? If so, click here for the ‘Benefits of Rosemary with Christophe Bernard’ video and transcript.
I am so excited to bring you this conversation about rosemary, the queen of antioxidants, with brilliant herbalist and teacher, Christophe Bernard. In this episode, Christophe is sharing a wonderful way that you can enjoy the wonderful, aromatic taste of rosemary (Salvia rosmarinus) with roasted or barbecued food, while at the same time, helping to buffer the oxidative stress which results when we eat that yummy, browned food.
If you’re not already familiar with Christophe, he lives in southern France (Provence) where he spends his time picking, growing and recommending herbs as a health practitioner. He has written three books and teaches at one of the oldest herbal schools in France. He also offers a set of online classes on how to make and use herbal preparations. His blog AltheaProvence has become a reference for plant lovers around the French-speaking world.
You’ll come away charmed by the story of Christophe’s journey to herbalism, his enthusiasm, and his willingness to keep learning. You’ll also discover the many gifts of rosemary and receive Christophe’s recipe for Rosemary Deglazing and BBQ Spray, along with several tips and variations for making it.
Listen in for:
► How embracing humility and imperfection and remaining open to new information can produce big results
► Tips for working with rosemary, including tasty flavor combinations for a tea that’s brimming with protective antioxidants
► A classic beginner’s mistake that you can avoid
To me, rosemary represents resistance and resilience, survival. When you see it growing in this little crack of a rock, I mean, there’s no soil, there’s nothing, and it’s not raining during the summer here. And yet that rosemary is growing and it’s aromatic. What it gives back is just so strong and amazing and I really studied that plant because it seemed to be doing a lot of things as an anti-inflammatory.
What You’ll Learn from This Episode
- [01:09] Introduction to Christophe Bernard
- [02:23] Christophe’s journey from engineer in corporate America to herbalist
- [08:02] How embracing imperfection and small beginnings can produce big results
- [10:05] The importance of preserving and sharing herbal knowledge
- [11:24] Do herbal teas have any advantages over herbal tinctures and powdered herbs?
- [14:29] The health benefits of rosemary (Salvia rosmarinus)
- [18:02] Why it’s important to work with fresh or freshly dried rosemary that’s strongly aromatic
- [20:03] How to make rosemary tea
- [22:09] Christophe explains the protective role rosemary can play in buffering oxidative stress
- [28:04] Christophe’s recipe for Rosemary Deglazing and BBQ Spray
- [28:56] Cultivating a new generation of clinical herbalists in the French-speaking world
- [34:27] Why it’s important to stay open to new knowledge and unexpected results as an herbalist
Download Your Recipe Card
Connect With Christophe
Connect with Rosalee
Are Your Ready for More Herbal Inspiration?
The best way to get started is by joining my herbal community and weekly newsletter where I share my best herbal tips and insights.
When you join you’ll also get access to The Herbal Jumpstart Course which helps you figure out the best herbs for you.
Sign up below!